Airless paint sprayer [https://amzn.to/39EiMpy]
Scrubbing brush [https://amzn.to/37vxhdA]
Paint brush [https://amzn.to/2MTZSkT]
Shopping List: [YT]
Exterior paint [https://amzn.to/36mWSVR]
Drop cloths [https://amzn.to/2sAp753]
1. Start by creating a template, numbering the shutters, and labeling them on the template, so it’s easier to keep track of which ones went where.
2. Remove the shutters from the house. Number them with a marker in the back as you go.
3. Rinse all the shutters with a garden hose. Then, mix together the detergent with water in a bucket. Use a scrubbing brush in the cleaning solution to clean off the shutters. Rinse the shutters off a final time after scrubbing.
4. After the shutters have dried, lay them out on a drop cloth.
5. Prime the paint sprayer using a bucket. Then, spray the paint evenly across all the shutters, overlapping by 50% with each pass. Apply 2 coats.
6. Allow the paint to dry before hanging them back up.
7. Touch up all the screw heads for the shutters with a little bit of paint and the paint brush.
Mauro washed the shutters using a biodegradable cleaner, in this case Simple Green [https://amzn.to/2trtRtA], mixed with water to remove the dirt.
Mauro chose an exterior paint in Hale Navy for the shutters, manufactured by Benjamin Moore [https://amzn.to/2MU4WWB].
Other materials for this project including respirators and drop cloths are available at home centers and paint suppliers.
About Ask This Old House TV:
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we’re ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O’Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
This Old House, Ask This Old House, DIY, Home Improvement, DIY Ideas, Renovation, Renovation Ideas, How To Fix, How To Install, How To Build, Mauro Henrique, painting, cleaning, vinyl shutters, exterior
Watch the full episode:
How to Paint Vinyl Shutters | Ask This Old House