Hand rake [https://amzn.to/39eSvNo]
Canvas tarp [https://amzn.to/2UbTkSB]
Cherry Tree [https://amzn.to/2wmtDpG]
1. Start by identifying a good location for the tree, keeping in mind that it will grow and get larger.
2. Trace the outside of the bucket using the shovel, then pull the tree out of the way to dig. Leave space on the outside of the bucket so that the hole ends up being about twice as wide as the tree.
3. Dig the hole for the tree about as deep as the pot. Be sure to set the grass on top aside so it doesn’t end up in the backfill pile. It helps to place the soil and the grass on a tarp to prevent damage to the lawn.
4. Loosen up some of the soil at the bottom of the hole and mix in some compost.
5. Pull the tree out of the bucket and place it in the hole.
6. Gently break up the roots of the tree using a hand rake.
7. Rotate the tree and orient it in the desired position.
8. Mix more of the compost in with the soil that was originally dug out of the hole. Use this mix to backfill the tree. Be sure to keep the flare of the tree above the soil line.
9. Soak the tree with water.
10. Cover the base of the tree with a layer of mulch to help keep the roots moist and prevent weeds.
Jenn planted a Yoshino cherry [https://amzn.to/2wmtDpG], which grows best in Hardiness Zones 5-8 [https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/] and can be purchased from a nursery or garden center.
Expert assistance with this segment was provided by Cordt Gardens, LLC (http://www.cordtgardens.com/)
About Ask This Old House TV:
Homeowners have a virtual truckload of questions for us on smaller projects, and we’re ready to answer. Ask This Old House solves the steady stream of home improvement problems faced by our viewers—and we make house calls! Ask This Old House features some familiar faces from This Old House, including Kevin O’Connor, general contractor Tom Silva, plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey, and landscape contractor Roger Cook.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House:
Renovation Ideas, How To Fix, How To Install, How To Build
Watch the full episode:
How to Plant a Cherry Tree | Ask This Old House